And I adore the little conclave of helping hands dusted in flour, carefully peeling the dumplings off forks and chattering away.
Free to enjoy as many vegetables as she likes, her favourite is a tomato-based sauce or burnt butter and sage. But for a while I have been experimenting to get a delicious 'burnt butter' sauce for my dairy free and food intolerant gang.
For those of you who can tolerate lots of ingredients, I suggest a lovely broccoli pesto as a sauce - but for the sensitive tummy - ENJOY the fruits of my concocting labours. I must give credit to the incredible Cybele Pascale for her ALLERGY FREE gnocchi recipe that gave me a good start in developing the gnocchi
660g, old floury potatoes peeled & cubed
600 g water
300g gluten free flour mix
3/4 tsp salt
50g oil (can be replaced with butter if dairy is tolerated)
1 tsp xantham gum or 2 tsp psyllium husk
60g rice milk
4 cloves roasted garlic
pinch of brown sugar
½ tsp salt
tsp of parsley leaves
1. Place potatoes into Varoma dish.
Place water into mixing bowl and cook 30 min/ Varoma temp/speed 1.
2. Remove Varoma and set aside.
Allow potatoes to cool (approx. 15 -20 min) so that they are very dry but still warm.
Discard water, rinse and dry bowl.
3. Place cooled potatoes into mixing bowl and mash 4 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides and mix through then repeat. Do not over puree but make sure all large lumps are gone.
4. Add 200g flour, salt, oil and gum/psyllium. Set dial to (closed lid position) and knead 30 - 40 sec/ Interval setting.
5. Place remaining flour, along with dough, onto floured surface or ThermoMat. Work remaining flour into the dough until you achieve texture that is not overly sticky. Lightly oil your hands.
Roll dough into a finger width 'sausage' shape and cut into approx. 2cm long pieces.
Shape the gnocchi with a fork, or wooden gnocchi board.
6. Cook immediately. Place into pot of boiling water and cook until gnocchi has risen to the surface.
Sauce – place garlic and Nuttelex and pinch of sugar and salt into TM bowl and sauté caramelize 4.5 minutes, Varoma temp, speed 1.5. Add water and emulsify for 30 seconds on speed 8.
Add water and salt and blitz for 20 seconds speed 6
When moderate salicylates and glutamates are tolerated, add peas to the above sauce when pureed and cook for 2 minutes, 100 degrees speed soft reverse.